Monday, January 28, 2008

Influencing the Two Party System

Voting for the candidate of your choice is important even if you think there is little chance he or she could win. There are several reasons for this:
  1. It sends a positive message. Anytime you spend money on something, you are endorsing that product; whether it be a person, place, object, or more importantly an idea. Your vote sends the same message.
  2. At the same time, it sends an anti-message. It also works in reverse by not endorsing the things you don't spend your money on. Your "un"-vote sends the same message.
  3. It's honest. You're not letting the majority influence your decision by settling for someone who you really don't want to be elected. Think for a minute what it would be like to never see any poll numbers before an election. Imagine that the candidates campaign but no one reports/computes any statistics about who is leading the race, etc. Think of how that one simple fact would influence your decision. My guess is without the "bandwagon" you would vote more honestly.
  4. Your not "opting" out. Let's face it no one is perfect, so therefore no candidate is perfect. Someone will be elected whether you vote or not. It might as well be the person you would endorse with your vote. When I go the the grocery store to buy jelly, I don't leave without buying any jelly at all because I don't see any jelly made in Georgia. I pick the best jelly that I can based on my options. If I really want Georgia jelly, I need to be more aggressive and maybe start calling or writing letters to manufacturers to start making GA jelly.

No comments: